Ride two stages of the new 2.1 level of Tour du Rwanda
Be Part of Tour du Rwanda: Ride the same stages as the professionals just a few hours before the race.
There is no better way to visit and see remarkable Rwanda than riding a full stage of the Tour du Rwanda. One will ride along some of the most beautiful cycle routes in Rwanda, whilst enjoying cultural villages of Rwanda and its scenic places.
We’ll be riding few hours before the Tour itself, as this will allow us to complete each stage and spend more time on our bikes enjoying the scenery.
To achieve this challenge, some experience as a cyclist will be necessary however no one will be left behind, there will be a van ready to pick you up whenever you feel tired. So even when you are not at your fittest stage at the moment you are most welcome to ride as long as you like and enjoy the rest of the beautiful stage from inside the pick-up van.
But this is more than just about the bike - we will always have enough time on the route each day for relaxing and photo stops along Rwanda’s beautiful hills.
There are very limited spaces on this tour, with a maximum of 50 cyclists. This group will ride together and will always have the support of former Team Rwanda riders, police, ambulance and a van with a Mechanic close by – with drinks, snacks
and dry clothing.
Be part of Tour du Rwanda is supported by the Promotion of Economy and Employment Programme (Eco-Emploi). Eco-Emploi is a joint Rwandan-German Development Cooperation Programme with Technical Assistance by the Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH , commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
STAGES: TOUR DU RWANDA 2019
A Challenge of a lifetime, the FIRST 2.1 UCI level Tour du Rwanda experience, stunning landscapes, challenging climbs, new friends, pure air, cultural visits and time away from your smartphone are all guaranteed on this trip.
- Assistance in finding hotels hand-picked by our experienced team
- Energy nutrition on the road (Water, Bananas, Cliff bars)
- Knowledgeable and experienced guide(s)
- Fully supported tour with vehicle and mechanic
- Van to pick you up to the finish line if you have to pull out.
- Cycling kit and gear
- Road guide book including all the details you need to know on your trip
- Pick up around start city at 4:30 am
What’s Not included?
- Travel insurance
- Medical cover
- Hotel accommodation
Day 1: 27th/February (Rubavu-Karongi):
Due to the race starting at 8: am, we will have to ride off as early as possible, for us not to be able to be caught up by professionals.
On the 26th meet at a designated hotel to get you a bike, bike assembled and fitted to meet your height and position and perhaps get your legs turning on a short discovery tour of city of Rubavu!
26th Night will be our official Welcome dinner and a great opportunity to meet your fellow travelers and the rest of Team Rwanda on your own cost.
27th Pick up will be at 4:30 am so that we can get geared up and ride off at 6:00 a.m. so we can reach in Rubavu before the race and use our passes to sit at the final stage to see the last sprint.
For those who want to have lunch with the Teams, we will give you a pass however lunch will be on personal cost.
Day 2: 28th/February (Karongi-Musanze):
Same as on the 27th we will have to ride off early again for not to be caught by the race again, We will ride off at 6:00 a.m. so we can reach in Musanze before the race and use our passes to sit at the final stage to see the last sprint.
We will have a dinner gala as this will be our final stage however this also is still on personal cost.
For Tour du Rwanda 2.1 level 2019, these will be the costs for one stage:
$130 with bike rental, $70 without bike rental
How much you challenge yourself, is your own choice. We are happy to welcome you either for one or two days for Ride Along Tour du Rwanda. Just let us know what you prefer and we will get everything organized.
How to book:
For Ride along Tour du Rwanda please visit:
Cultural Activities in the Kivu Belt
There is much more to do than only cycling in the Kivu Belt! We have collected some ideas for you – for your families or spouses while you are riding - or yourself if you want to extend your stay in the Kivu Belt.
1. Young women destination: Experience the rural life experience offered by the
women association by learning about handcrafting, agriculture, fetching water from
the local tap, cut grass for domestic animals and cooking at a beautiful location with
stunning views over Lake Kivu.
2. Pfunda Tea Cooperative: Learn about the whole tea farming process ranging from nursery, farming, harvesting, delivery and factory process on a guided tour through evergreen tea plantations.
3. Cotralaki: Explore the beautiful Lake Kivu and its thousands islands. You will visit the swimming cows and learn more about their history as iconic domestic animals in the Rwandan culture. Isambaza night fishing experiences that reveal show the night fishing activities look like in the Lake Kivu.
4. National museum of Rwanda: Visiting the museum and explore a traditional herbal medicine garden based on its rooftop. The museum is the center of education for visitors that helps them to understand and safeguard their environment.
5. Handspun Hope Women’s Center: Learn about the Merino wool production process including Merino sheep keeping, yarn spinning and natural wool dying at the foot of impressive Sabinyo volcano.
6. Iby’iwacu cultural village: Visit Kinigi Cultural Village and Experience Rwandan traditional living and what makes it authentic. Grind millet and sorghum on the local grinding stone to make food, cycle a wooden bicycle around the village, shoot arrows with the Batwa people, listen to village elders explain their traditions. This is also an opportunity to enjoy the Intore dances.
You still want to do more in the Kivu Belt?
For more inspiration and assistance, please contact:
- Green Hills Eco Tours
Contact: 0722 770 000
- Go Gisenyi Tours
Contact: 0788 704 084
- Beyond the Gorillas Experience
Contact: 0788 495 604
- Tembeya Africa Tours